An accordion trio founded in 1996 by Janusz Wojtarowicz - leader and author of most of the compositions. They are a phenomenon on the European and global music market. Janusz Wojtarowicz, Paweł Baranek and Marcin Gałażyn are world class accordionists. Using all the advantages of the accordion in their creations, they continually explore the new possibilities of this instrument, changing the way that it is perceived. Their concerts are musical performances that contain action and drama.
MOTION TRIO plays on Pigini Sirius Millennium accordions - considered the best accordions in the world.
THEY HAVE WON MANY PRESTIGIOUS AWARDS, INCLUDING:
- Grand Prix at the IV Krzysztof Penderecki International Contemporary Chamber Music Competition in the year 2000
- Deutsche Shallplatten Kritik
- Grand Prix at the Polish Music Industry (“Pictures from the Street”)
- Best Polish Recording 2000
- Best Debut in the year 2000 in Poland (Jazzi Magazine)
- “Gus Viseur” in the category “Musical Discovery of the Year” in France (2005)
- The Best album (Classical Music), HI-FI & Music
- "Cobalt Muse" – Award of the Foundation "Different Tones" (2009)
- Best Album of the Year in the category "Classical Music" by. HI-FI AND MUSIC - magazine of audiophile and music lover "CHOPIN" (2010)
- "Honoris Gratia" musicians were honored by the Mayor of the City of Krakow in recognition for contribution to Krakow and its inhabitants (2011)
- "Mateusze 2013" - Music Award of the Polish Radio Channel 3 for the Motion Trio and L.U.C - masterful combination of two musical worlds, which resulted in two albums, "NOTHING HAPPENED" and "CITY OF HARMONY"
- "Best Film Music" 2016 - 41 Film Festival in Gdynia for Janusz Wojtarowicz and Motion Trio (Janusz Wojtarowicz, Paweł Baranek, Marcin Gałażyn) for the music for the film "Szczęście Świata" dir. Michał Rosa
ABOUT THE MUSIC OF MOTION TRIO:
- Joe Zawinul : "Your music is amazing"
- Krzysztof Penderecki : "They are an exceptional accordion trio"
- Wanda Wiłkomirska : "I have never heard such a well-tuned band before."
- FRANKFURTER ALLGEMEINE ZEITUNG : “Trio plays masterfully with suggestive sounds (...)”
- LIBERATION : “Those who thought that the accordion was old-fashioned and who were present at the Motion Trio concert had no alternative but to reconsider their earlier judgment (...)”
- LE MONDE : “The Polish accordion trio ridicules all the habits and traditional ways to play the accordion; they bring the instrument into the future without any electronic effects (...)”
- ALL ABOUT JAZZ : “You have never heard such accordion playing (...)"
Krzysztof Penderecki :
I have had an opportunity to listen to Motion Trio several times, both in Poland and abroad. This is exceptional accordion trio. The group led by Janusz Wojtarowicz, who is also the compozer of pieces by the trio plays also jazz, and promotes modern music. The activity of the group is worth supporting, not only becouse of its exceptional character, but also due to the high artistic lavel of its musicians.
Michael Nyman :
Me and my group are impressed by the power of their music. Their tones are the very component that was missing in our work. Our cooperation with Motion Trio has been one of the most exciting projects I've ever taken part in
Joe Zawinul :
" Your music is amazing!! "
Tomasz Stańko :
(...) Those people play really well.I could have never got into it myself. The colour they create is unusual ! Besides, they do care about it, they know what matters, they are aware of their own sound, their own value,they have something in themselves that I like very much, and what they call being "street".They tell us about themselves that they are street musicians,that it,they have a great deal of dirt,but also knowledge,charisma,and passion;they own all the values that I appreciate so much...
MOTION ON MOTION
- "we are as passionate about heavy metal as we are about jazz or contemporary music"
- "we feel just as good playing on the street as we do in a concert hall"
- "it is our belief that music will do just fine without the Motion Trio; we, without music, on the other hand..."
MOTION TRIO WORKS WITH:
- "Ciaccona" from Polish Requiem (in the version for three accordions)-world premiere in New York, Carnegie Hall in 2008 ,
- Oratorio "Seven gates of Jerusalem" part III "De profundis" (in the version for three accordions) - world premiere "Skirball Center" in Los Angeles 2007 .
Henryk Mikołaj Górecki
- "Three Works in the Old Style" (in the version for three accordions) - world premiere in New York, Carnegie Hall in 2008.
- "Orawa" (in the version for three accordions) - world premiere in New York Carnegie Hall in 2008.
Jan A.P. Kaczmarek
- "Koncert Jankiela" (in the version for three accordions and orchestra)- premiere on International Film and Music Festival "Transatlantic" (Poznań - Poland 2012)
- MGV "Musique a Grand Vitesse" (for three accordions) with Michael Nyman Band - world premiere "Barbican Centre" in London 2009.
- "Toccata Barbaro" (for three accordions) 2014 - world premiere - International Festival of Cracow Composers 2015
Bobby McFerrin, Krzesimir Dębski, Trilok Gurtu, Michał Urbaniak, Tomasz Stańko, Leszek Możdżer, Zohar Fresco, Atom String Quartet, WDR Rundfunkorchester Köln, Deutsches Filmorchester Babelsberg, Sinfoniett Riga, Sinfonietta Cracovia, Rio de Janeiro Orquestra do Teatro Municipal, Chamber Orchestra “Aukso”, Łódź Philharmonic Orchestra, Hanseatica Chamber Orchestra (Gdańsk), Ensemble “KONTRASTE” (Nürnberg) and with Anna Dymna, Krzysztof Orzechowski - "The Salon of Poetry", Andrzej Seweryn - "Mounsieur Pichon" - based on the text by Salome Broussky (Premiere: October 19th 2010 in the Comedie Francaise in Paris, music by F. Chopin and the Motion Trio), Piotr Cieplak - "The Italian Straw Hat" - music by Janusz Wojtarowicz, performed by the MT, Jerzy Grałek - "Jesienin" - music by the Motion Trio, Jerzy Skolimowski – the MT starred in the "Essential Killing" (award winner at the film festivals in Venice, Mar Del Plata and Gdynia), Jacek Sroka - concert project "Sroka in Motion"combines music of MT and painting of Jacek Sroka.
The band granted permission for the use of their pieces of music in such films as: One Hour Summer (USA 2008), Laura (POLAND 2010), Życie (POLAND 2002), as well as in many other historical and feature films all over the world.
The band made various recordings for the following TV stations: Arte, ZDF, WDR, France 3, Mezzo, TVP, TVP Kultura, as well as for several radio stations.